December 1st…what a fun day!

Goodbye November…Hello December!

I love December and the magic this season brings!!!

Today we read  the story, The Gingerbread Man, the traditional story!

The children loved this story and made great predictions about what was going to happen when the gingerbread man sat on the fox’s nose…of course the fox ate the gingerbread man and we all had a great laugh!!! We discussed the gingerbread man’s personality and how he was a little bit mischevious or “cheeky” as he said,

“run run as fast as you can, you can’t catch me I’m the gingerbread man”! We read this part chorally (together) and ran on the spot as fast as we could!

We had a wonderful day transforming our house corner into Gingerbreadman house with the children.

Mr. Kneebone worked very hard wrapping our big, blue house in brown paper while the children and I made smarties, gum drops, peppermint candies and candycanes out of paint, paper and sparkles to decorate the house! Mr. Kneebone made wonderful icing out of paper and although we are not finished yet, the house is almost transformed into a gingerbread house! We are so happy and excited about this. Take a look at it…I’ll post pictures of it when it is finished tomorrow. We are hoping the children can bake and make play dough gingerbread men and follow pretend recipes while playing in the gingerbread corner.:) I am excited to see the kind of play this will ignite!

We also made patterned paper chains to decorate our classroom too! The boys and girls worked so independently on this and had fun when they noticed their chains were longer or “taller” than themselves. They also did exceptionally well making patterns with their chains! We have been linking the chains together and  now have our front bulletin board almost covered now!

We also opened an ALPHABET CENTRE this week. I bought this centre using my “bonus bucks” that I earned from all of the book orders that were placed this fall. Thank-you for your support!!

The children are enjoying sorting the pictures into corresponding alphabet pockets. For example, the pizza goes into the P pocket! The children are playing with letters and having fun, as they build their literacy and pre-reading skills!

A wonderful first day of December…

Tomorrow is Library Day, Computers and more Gingerbread fun!

Gingerbread houses? Any volunteers?

We would like to make individual gingerbread houses with the children, we would need volunteers to come in and help assemble the houses ahead of time, perhaps next Thursday Dec. 8th?

Just throwing the idea out there, let me know via Mr. Zippy if you are able to volunteer that morning!

Have a great night! …and of course, thanks for reading!

Ms. Jo-Anne 🙂

2 thoughts on “December 1st…what a fun day!

1. The gingerbread house looks fantastic. It reminds us the holiday season is just around the corner. Creating the alphabet center is such a good idea that the kids will learn so much from it.