Monday October 17th, Hello!

cute-chickadeeHi Chickadee dot families!
Today was a very good, no…amazing day here at KHPS!

img_3327

beautiful! We are so fortunate to see this every day!

Our morning view! How could it not be anything but fantastic!

This morning, we started both our Kinderstar program with Zaid, as well as our Alphabet Blitz Program. We are introducing the names of the letters and the sounds of each of the letters one/day for the next 26 days. I use parts of the “Jolly Phonics Program” in my introduction of letters in Kindergarten. It is a multi-sensory approach which appeals to all of the different kinds of learners (such as Tactile, Visual etc). For example, each letter is taught with a picture, song, story and an action. After the introduction of each letter, the children have an opportunity to explore the letter in a variety of ways. Today the children made “Aa” books, practiced letter formation and sound using buttons to trace and drawing/colouring/printing on our BIG paper. We also had 2 students co-construct our A for our classroom alphabet! I will post our alphabet on Friday once we have gotten to E.

img_3346

img_3322

co-constructing our alphabet with buttons and glue! I wonder what we should build the letter B with?

We will vary the activities to keep things fun for each letter! Tomorrow we will explore the letter B. Along with our literacy activities, the children had a chance to explore sorting and classifying by colour and shape, as well as showing us what they know about numbers. They had a chance to show us the matching amount on the number card…using fun Halloween objects! We also acted out a pumpkin poem about 5 Little Pumpkins sitting on a gate! Ask your child to tell you this! Did they mention that the third pumpkin was a bit..sassy? 🙂

img_3349

In the afternoon, Madame McCurry had loads of fun teaching the children Halloween, pumpkin vocabulary as well as introducing them to number sense in French! The children have been learning basic vocabulary such as colours, shapes, names of letters and sounds in French each day! Madame McCurry is very animated and keeps the children engaged in their French learning through fun poems, songs and stories! Here are a few pictures of our kiddos for you to enjoy! Learning French is so much fun!

Alphabet fun

Alphabet fun

Green? :)

Green? 🙂

img_3595

counting, using a “ten-frame”

Also, in case you want to contact Madame McCurry, here email is Lesley-Anne.McCurry@ocdsb.ca. She has also asked me to pass along some French song links if you would like to listen and support your child’s French learning at home.

Les chiffres:
I think that is it for today!
Jars….please send in your 250mL jars for our special Halloween craft! Thank-you for the families who have already done this!!!
Thanks for reading, as always,
images-1Ms. Jo-Anne (on behalf of your child’s amazing Kinder team of teachers!)